Sunday, December 10, 2006

Londontown

Let me first say that anyone who believes the Brits have the worst food and dont know how to eat, never dined in London. From the fifth floor restaurant at Harvey Nichols to a tiny French bistro in Soho, it's been a non-stop food tour since I arrived. Even Harrod's, which I had expected to be an impressive department, just blew me away. Not only was it the most posh department I've ever seen - Saks Fifth Ave doesn't compare - it was honestly the WalMart of luxury. I mean, imagine any high-end food market and multiply that by 10 and maaaybe it would compare to Harrod's. Room after room of the best anything you could ever want - white truffles that go for 4500 pounds per kg ($9000!?!!). The meats, cheeses, seafood, pastries - it was a foodie's wet dream. No detail at Harrod's is left as average.

Aside from eating Bruce has been rolling me through town: Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden, New Bond, Regent and Oxford Streets. Visited the Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery, and British Musuem. Big Ben was more stunning than I knew. In all the places I've ever wanted to visit London was never high on the list - I think i figured how different could it be if they speak English too? London has proven me wrong. The language is the only similarity to home - and even that is only similar on a basic level. London just has this energy that I dont feel even in New York. Things are cherished here, everything seems to be done with care that you don't often see at home. The independent business owner appears to be surviving and thriving in London as well. I've seen one Borders Books, and at least one independent/specialty bookshop per block!

anyway, i've got another meal to eat....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey i know your supper busy but if you have time try to get to the wax museum in london its supper trippy i loved it